Can I Sue Police Officer for Using Excessive Force

If you or a loved one have been injured by a police officer, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. 

Illinois applies a high standard of proof to these cases, so, in filing a lawsuit, it’s not enough just to show that a victim was hurt by an officer. Instead, you must prove in court that your injuries are the result of the police officer’s “willful and wanton” actions, meaning that the officer had either a deliberate intent to cause harm, a conscious disregard or an utter indifference to the safety of others.

The lawyers at Mitchell Hoffman & Wolf have experience in meeting this high standard, having successfully represented people harmed by police misconduct, wrongful arrests, improper use of force and high-speed chases.

In one such matter, we represented a man who was seriously injured when a Chicago Police Department squad car collided into his motorcycle on Lake Shore Drive. Arguing that the police officer acted in a reckless manner, putting other drivers at risk as he entered Lake Shore Drive in pursuit of another vehicle, we won a $2.9 million jury verdict against the City of Chicago on behalf of our client.

We also successfully obtained $2.7 million from the City of Evanston for a client treated with excessive force during an arrest. And, in another case, we secured a confidential group settlementfor citizens subjected to strip searches by a police officer.

If you or a loved one has been harmed due to police misconduct or the use of excessive force, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Mitchell Hoffman & Wolf. We are here to help.

Your Recovery Is Always Our Focus.

Call us at 312.726.6722 for a free consultation.